In Ayurveda, Ojas is considered the root of wellness and psychological superiority in a person. It takes the body around 30 days to make Ojas from the most refined food particles. However, it must be noted that during these 30 days the body has to meet several demands and that depletes the level and the production is also compromised. Therefore, it is necessary to take the right steps to keep the presence of Ojas at its peak, especially during the preconception stage when the body is preparing to support a new life. Here are 5 Ayurvedic tips to enhance the formation of Ojas in your body.
But first, here are some activities that deplete Ojas and you must avoid these before undertaking the steps to build it.
Activities that Deplete Ojas
- Stress and Tension: The biggest reason why most of us are depleted of our Ojas is because of stress and tension. The work we do and the lifestyle we lead puts us in a spot where it becomes difficult to avoid stress and tension.
- Excessive Sex: Engaging in excessive sex causes the Ojas to deplete. Sperm in males and Ovum in females are fluids that draw Ojas during formation. Hence, wasting it by engaging in frequent sex eventually lowers the store of Ojas in the body.
- Travel and Physically Strenuous Activities: Rasa is the first form of fluid which is formed after we consume food. This eventually transforms into lymph. Due to excess travel or strenuous activities, the rasa is affected and its formation is blocked. When this happens rasa flow is congested and the body cannot form Ojas. As a result, it starts reducing.
- Chemicals from bad foods: Eating bad foods deposits chemicals, albeit in trace amounts, in the blood (rakta) and body fat (medha). This also leads to reduction of the Ojas stored in the body.
- Excessive Stimulation: Indulging in excessive stimulation, be it sexual, audio-visual entertainment or substance (medicinal or recreational) related leads to depletion of Ojas. Watching too much TV, drinking, smoking or being in a stimulated environment isn’t helpful. Cut down on these aspects and prefer an environment that prevents your mind from being in an excited state.
The first step towards building Ojas is to avoid these activities and then begin the activities which will contribute to replenishing it. Here are top 5 ayurvedic lifestyle tips to enhance Ojas.
- Meditation: The key to meditation is to reach a state where you are not thinking of anything in particular. This is a state of calmness and relaxation. Before going to bed, take 10-15 mins to meditate. Close your eyes and breathe gently. When thoughts come wafting to your mind, gently push them away. Imagine on being a calm lake where you are pushing waves away with your paddle. When you have pushed all your thoughts away, you will eventually reach a state where there is total calmness. A calm environment helps. Switch off the T.V, put your mobile away and consider using ear plugs if the noise around you is too much to meditate.
- Self-Massage (Abhyanga): Self-massage is beneficial in reducing stress and nourishing your skin and muscles with a good oil. Typically, Ayurveda recommends the use of sesame oil, but you may choose to use a different oil as long as it doesn’t contain chemicals. Sit down in comfortable position and massage from top down. Start with the scalp and forehead. Gradually massage away your chest, stomach, thighs, legs and soles of your feet. Abhyanga should be part of your Dincharya (daily routine) and it helps in imparting a healthy glow to the skin and muscle tissues. In addition to building Ojas, it also helps in boosting metabolism and digestive fire.
- Ojas Enhancing Foods in Diet: Certain foods are enriched with the intelligence of nature. These foods turn easily into Ojas and should be part of your diet. Cow’s milk (boiled and cooled), grapes, almonds, sweet and juicy fruits, ghee, figs and whole grains are all considered to be beneficial in enhancing Ojas. Include more of these in your diet and eliminate foods that are devitalized, cold, stale or fermented.
- Adequate Rest & Physical Activity: Your body should get 7-8 hours of sleep every day. That helps your body to convert rasa into dhatus and then Ojas. Excessive sleeping does not help but unless you are resting enough you are not allowing your body the necessary time to produce and build Ojas. This should be balanced by adequate physical activity. Going to the gym is not necessary, you can practice yoga and cardio exercises at home. Take every moment to step out and get some fresh air when you work out.
- Conserve Vital Sexual Energy: Abuse of the sexual energy causes Ojas to deplete fast. Engaging in sexual activities should be based on the Prakriti. Vata Prakriti individuals can have sexual intercourse 1-2 times, Pitta Prakriti individuals 3-4 times and Kapha Prakriti individuals 4-5 times a month. Treat the power to procreate a sacred power and do not abuse it. If you have feeling fatigued and low on energy, it is advisable to conserve your sexual energy for 1-2 months.
Bonus Tip: The easiest tip we can give you to build your Ojas is this, “Stay positive”. When you share love, laugh, help people around you and come close to nature in whatever way possible, you are helping your body build Ojas. Also, make it a point to eat a balanced diet and stay physically active. Consult with an Ayurvedic doctor before taking Ojas building herbs and drugs such as Shilajeet, Ashwagandha, Punarnava, Shatavari and Triphala.
Jiva AyurBaby takes into consideration all that has been advised in the 5000-year-old scriptures on how to enhance Ojas and brings them to you in an easy-to-follow format. Your health coach will prescribe medicines, diet, yoga and more to build your Ojas. To know how we do that, get in touch by calling 0129-4040404.